Author Topic: Mirai Nikki 20  (Read 9941 times)

coldacid

Re: Mirai Nikki 20
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »
Size and lack of computers powerful enough to crank H.264 video, although my brand-new system should be able to handle it. Also, Zune player and Xbox don't like anything that isn't in an AVI or MPEG container (although Windows Media Center is a workaround).

I'd accept 480p H.264 video in MKV container, thanks to the WMC workaround, but after Mirai Nikki I will probably just switch over to 720p H.264 now that I have a system that won't choke to death on it.

wharble gharble

• UltraNewbie
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 17.0.963.83 Chrome 17.0.963.83
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 02:10:41 PM »
the reason i prefer xvid?

i have no effing idea, i dont know much about encode and file formats, i didnt think it mattered and chose at random each week.

so for my own information, which is better?

oh and ive been playing 1080p HD files on my computer so the power of my computer isnt an issue(in my case any ways)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:12:47 PM by wharble gharble »

UsageUnit

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 11:13:23 PM »
the reason i prefer xvid?

i have no effing idea, i dont know much about encode and file formats, i didnt think it mattered and chose at random each week.

so for my own information, which is better?

oh and ive been playing 1080p HD files on my computer so the power of my computer isnt an issue(in my case any ways)

The difference between the codecs (XviD vs. h.264) is that XviD takes less processing power, but h.264 can result in a smaller filesize (for an equivalent resolution and bitrate).

The difference between the containers (avi vs. mkv) is that avis have to be hardsubbed, but mkvs can be softsubbed (i.e. you can turn the subs off). Mkvs can also have multiple audio and subtitle tracks (so japanese audio and dubs can be contained in the same file, or subs can be provided in multiple languages), but these features aren't used in SS releases.

Also, aside from the above distinctions, SS's h.264 mkvs are at 720p resolution, while their XviD avis are at 480p resolution (and thus have a smaller filesize).

Dee

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
I download XVid only....if possible.
I don't see much difference, but the H264 absolutely doesn't likes my computer and I prefer watching anime without having Pixel Lags or repeating some parts over and over again until my lap finally got "PLAY IT OR I KICK YOUR SORRY ASS" :P

Also, I don't like waiting necessarily long and H-vids take 2min+ longer then Xvid :) (with my at the moment 25mb speed line, will be 50 soon)

Hope that helps you guys

jycrocks

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »
I like xvid cuz I use the Western Digital Media player to watch the animes on my tv and the subs come out looking crappy if it the file isn't hardsubbed

lmm

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 01:12:52 AM »
I don't normally download xvids when there's an 8-bit h264 release, but I downloaded the xvids of the last 3 episodes because I was in japan using dodgy hotel wifi and so wanted the smallest release available. If you did a low-quality h264 version I'd've downloaded that instead (h264 in the same quality as xvid should mean a smaller filesize).

ukigumo

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
Well, thats pretty easy to answer. My computer is very slow, and for some reason it likes xvid better. ^^

greets, an thank you so much for all your work! :]

Afronin

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
mkvs prettty much have to be watched on a computer (as either video codec/audio codec or subtitles arent supported by anything but) which is kinda inconvenient if there is more than one person wanting to watch an ep simultaneously.

xvids/avi/mp4 files can be played through a usb device on xbox/ps3/tv. i suppose for me it comes down to the fact my tv is MUCH bigger than my PC monitor and has better sound!

furaibo

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
XVID for the fact that I can play it on my PS3 and my DVD player.  It's much easier than hooking up my laptop to the TV to watch on a larger screen.  If there were an MP4 version, I'd probably download that since it's a higher resolution and can be played on my PS3.  MKV is my last choice because I'd either have to watch it using my laptop or re-encode (which I hate doing).  Of course there the option of buying another device that plays MKV files but that just costs $$$.

I have a question of my own out of curiousity, and excuse my ignorance since I don't really know too much about these different formats.  Since MP4 is similar to MKV (I think) in that it's container for video, audio and subtitle files, why aren't more sub groups using that instead of MKV since more devices can play MP4s, specifically, my PS3 :) ?

tcruise709

• UltraNewbie
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 13.0.1 Firefox 13.0.1
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 06:14:32 AM »

Speaking as a huge fan of the manga, I’m extremely pleased with what Asread did with the chapters that made up this week’s episode – some of the most important of Mirai Nikki, and among my favorites.

I’ve said this before, but I think the breakneck pacing that the adaptation has left for itself in the home stretch – just under three chapters per ep, give or take – actually works to its advantage. Mirai Nikki is at its best when it doesn’t give you a chance to breathe. It’s not so much a story as a sensory assault, making you laugh and shocking you and horrifying you and surprising you, all in turn. It’s better reacted to than analyzed, and an episode full of unpredictable and outlandish events like this one is a real thrill ride. This is like a great trashy novel or pulpy action flick, the kind people love but prefer not to admit it to their more “sophisticated” social circles.

anything