Author Topic: Mirai Nikki 20  (Read 9961 times)

Zelix

• UltraNewbie
  • Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 8.0 MS Internet Explorer 8.0
Re: Mirai Nikki 20
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
Yes, i love this series. Thank you!

As for the Xvid question... for me, personally, i don't mind if the file is Xvid or MKV but my computer cannot handle HD 720p files, only SD 480p. So if you start making MKV releases in the same SD as your current Xvid, i wouldn't mind if you switched over.

Personally, i think the stubborness about Xvid is mostly because people are used to it and the idea of switching to MKV, MP4, etc. just gives them the fear of letting go of something they have known for so long.

But as i said before, to me, it doesn't matter if it is MKV, MP4, Xvid, etc. As long as you wonderful people at Static subs do not stop releasing the videos in SD. I'm sure I will be able to get a better PC sooner or later, but right now my finances do not allow it.

I hope i was of help, keep up the good work!

- Zelix, see ya next time!

UsageUnit

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »
I DL the XviDs for 480p and smaller filesize. Smaller filesize for speed of DL and storage, and 480p for speed of playback. 720p can lag on my netbook, altho I could probably figure out some mplayer settings to get it to work if I cared. But even if I had a faster comp, bigger screen, faster connection, and more storage, I'd probably still go for the XviDs just because they're "good enough" quality for me so there's no point to go with the larger mkvs.

But like others have said, since it's because of the filesize and resolution that I DL them, I wouldn't care if you switched to h.264, and I'd even prefer an mkv container, so long as it kept the current XviD release resolution and filesize.

/a/non9001

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
Got nothing against mkv's and they play fine for me, but xvid files are typically smaller so I use them for archive since hard disc space isn't cheap where i live.

Anyways keep up the good work.

HanoFist

Why XVID?
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:02 PM »
I can do 10bit h264 on my PC. However when showing anime to visiting friends I use my 2003 laptop connected via SVideo to the big TV. That stutters at 720p and can only smoothly play 480p h264 or XVIDs.

That and bandwidth constraints - 93 KB/s max - lead me to pick the smallest file size for medium priority shows.

Kyuubey

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
But as i said before, to me, it doesn't matter if it is MKV, MP4, Xvid, etc. As long as you wonderful people at Static subs do not stop releasing the videos in SD. I'm sure I will be able to get a better PC sooner or later, but right now my finances do not allow it.

This. I was able to DL from various SD-releasing groups like Mazui (releasing SD in mp4), HorribleSubs (releases 480p in mkv), Evetaku, SS and Eclipse.

Serpettra

xvid
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
I download the xvid because I'm poor and my computers can't handle 720p.  I prefer 480p mkvs but you just happen to have your SD releases encoded in xvid.  I would love to have enough money to get a new computer and climb the ivory tower most subbers seem to be sitting on these days but sadly, that seems unlikely in the near future.

I'm just happy you guys aren't following the increasing trend these days of sub groups going, "ohh, you can't play 10-bit 1080p with out experimental encodes we just made up this week?  stop being poor if you want to watch anime!"

killerrin

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 17.0.963.83 Chrome 17.0.963.83
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
Thanks for another great sub SS :) As for your survey:

The reason that I like the Xvid is because I use the Zune Software (which in my opinion is an amazing media organizer :D) to organize my media. When I download videos I am able to able to go into the Zune Software to jump to videos, and tell it to be part of the Series I set up for the show within 3 clicks. From there, the videos are organized based on the episode and I can quickly jump from video to video without having to do much work. Example

Another reason for the Xvid is because since its an AVI, I can easily place it on my mobile devices for when I'm on the go without needing to do any converting because AVI is one of those standard formats that everything accepts, I actually use to have a Zune so it would automatically resize the video for me while keeping it in the high quality video and audio picture as it would have been on PC.

My other reason is one that some of the Canadians on your team may be able to empathize with. Here, our internet situation is terrible as a few companies own all the internet. Because of this, they gouge us up the a** for money. We have ridiculously low bandwidth caps, and then if we go over they charge us $2+ per GB with no cap on that, so its possible to run up a bill of a few hundred without knowingly knowing until its too late.

Edit: Oh; and I haven't checked recently, but last I checked VLC didn't support it :(

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:07:05 PM by killerrin »

SkallyWag

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 11:11:29 PM »
Thanks for the upload.

I download and use the XVids because they play on the Playstation / Xbox that I have, and I prefer watching my anime from my television / bed than I do from the chair.

Kothor

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »
File size isnt really an issue for me but already having the encoding in a format that my PS3 plays just saves me lots of headaches and even more time. I can (and do often) re-encode my downloads so they play over PS3 but the quality doesnt matter as much to me over the ease of watching on my tv.

I love the MKV container on my Mac but untill Sony decides to do an update (and this goes for Xbox also) to handle mkv and 10bit I will prefer xvid (note that the avi container really isnt it either, I use MP4 as well and generally my encodes work on my PS3 but they can be glitchy)

To the user above who is re-encodeing from 10 bit and getting blocky I have to wonder what you are using the re-encode because when i do I get a perfect video stream. (handbreak ftw)

Nilleshna

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 01:21:33 AM »
I download Xvid sometimes to watch episodes on my Windows Phone. It doesn't support .mkv files.
Also to upload video to the phone I have to use Zune, which too doesn't support .mkv

lett303

• Windows XP Windows XP
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 4.0.1 Firefox 4.0.1
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:02 AM »
I download Xvid cuz it's hardsubbed and easier to convert for portable devices with the subs intact and as a plus it plays in my dvd player with only a copy/paste to a Flashdrive and it even looks better seen on TV (don't have a HDTV) and also doesn't stress my old pc.

toma

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 03:34:59 AM »
I don't really care bout the size like the others. I d/led your xvid simply because its hardsubbed. These days i watch most of my anime using a wdtv + hdtv but the wdtv doesn't support styled ass subs (plus some other problems). I usually prefer 720p mp4 but these xvids are still good enough. How bout switching from xvid to 480p mp4 like mazui? :]

Kemm

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
The reason why I download the XviD version? Until I change computers (which I can't for now due to lack of money), my best option is to download the slightly less heavy version, with a difference in quality my screen can't show and lesser size of frame so my processor doesn't overload.

Thanks for the chapter, the show and all your work.

SzeryfBuraq

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
i am downloading XviD version because this show isnt worth so much space on my hdd (comapred to Fate/Zero, ZnT or SnS.)

Static-Fan

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »
1.: I d/l SS version because obviously it has the best translation (seriously)

2.: Xvid: because It's natsukashii (romantic feeling for past)

anything