Author Topic: Group on Hiatus  (Read 22750 times)

tenkenX6

Re: Group on Hiatus
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »
Yeah, it can be really hard to find a good and reliable translator. And even harder to replace a really good one.

Anyway, I hope everything is all right with Kunio-kun. I hope he returns some time soon. Good luck!  :))

Gordon Shumway

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
So... any chance that you were thinking of working on the new Hayate OAVs?  I'd certainly love to see some new torrents that start with "SS".   :]

melfie

• UltraNewbie
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.143 Chrome 36.0.1985.143
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »
I still check this place weekly hoping for a miracle. Though it seems to be getting harder and harder to get myself to come here as I get all sentimental. I have been following you guys since your first or second release of an episode. can't even remember how long it's been now :(. I truly wish Kunio-kun the best and hope he is well and the same to the rest of SS. I will keep hoping for a miracle for now. When this group truly dies out I will surely die a little inside knowing a part of my life has faded into the past.

Forever a fan
~melfie

J

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 04:23:28 PM »
It's bean 2 years and the site is still up.

I hope you guys are all doing alright.

random anon

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 03:41:20 AM »
I'd like to extend that to every other fansub group out there too.  Grew up with fansubs, sad to see it go among other things.

AoyamaMotoko

• Static-Subs Webmaster
  • Static-Subs Staff
  • Mac OS X 10.10 Mac OS X 10.10
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 37.0 Firefox 37.0
    • Animeneko Network
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »
It's bean 2 years and the site is still up.

I hope you guys are all doing alright.

The group is still on hiatus. I don't know that we will ever be active again.

I'd like to extend that to every other fansub group out there too.  Grew up with fansubs, sad to see it go among other things.

In some ways, it's a good thing. There are a lot more avenues for legal access to anime and manga than previously. Sure, Pioneer Ent/Geneon is gone, as is A.D. Vision (ADV). However, Funimation is still going strong (they were smart on not overextending themselves) picking up a lot of Geneon licenses. Even Starz has extended into anime with their Manga Entertainment and Anchor Bay subsidiaries putting out some good stuff like Summer Wars the original Ghost in the Shell. That doesn't even cover Sentai Filmworks, which distributes via Section23 Films (successor to ADV) or Aniplex. Even Viz has gone into publishing anime.

On the manga side, Tokyopop is gone, but Viz has strong backing from the major publishers and offers tons of digital purchases. Kodansha has a US company publishing titles now. Dark Horse Comics has a manga imprint which has a lot of popular stuff. Vertical is publishing a lot of stuff too, as is Seven Seas.

Those are just a handful of companies in each of the media types. There are a ton more like Hachette Publishing Group (light novels Yen Press / Little, Brown and Company) and GKids (some of the Ghibli films, A Letter to Momo, and Summer Wars among others).

Fansub and scanlation groups were a response to an unmet demand for anime and manga in localized forms. They thrived because there was no legal method to acquire the product people wanted. It's taken a long time, but now anime and manga are decently affordable. As a result, the people that may have otherwise banded together to get what they wanted have much less need. For $60 a year, you can get access to more than enough anime to stream to your eyeballs and a lot of manga to read. For most people, that's a low enough barrier that they won't need to look at less legal options.

Of course, this is all from a US perspective. Other countries may have less (or a lot less) options, if any. Fansub and scanlation groups for other languages than English seem to still be popular. Likewise, ripper groups seem to be popular for those that may not have means to pay for legal options.

Nevertheless, the shrinking of the fansub and scanlation "scene" is inevitable as legal options become available. I'm happy to say that I had a part in the community, and I'm thrilled to see how easy it's become to share my passion for Japanese media with others.
Happy Linux User
Player of choice: SMplayer and Mplayer2 (for extra mkv goodness!)

tenkenX6

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
The group is still on hiatus. I don't know that we will ever be active again.

So, how much longer are you guys planning on waiting until something happens until you decide to "throw in the towel"? BTW, this is an honest question out of curiosity from a fellow fansubber. I hope it doesn't sound offensive in any way because that's definitely not my intention here.  :]

AoyamaMotoko

• Static-Subs Webmaster
  • Static-Subs Staff
  • Mac OS X 10.10 Mac OS X 10.10
  • Browser:
    • Animeneko Network
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, the group is disbanded. Official word is "hiatus", but I don't see any activity in the near future. Last I checked, there isn't enough staff to go on. Certainly not in critical positions like translation. That would take some time to fill if anyone wanted to get the group re-started.

For the time being, I'll keep the site running on my personal server. Traffic and maintenance is minimal, so it's not a pain.
Happy Linux User
Player of choice: SMplayer and Mplayer2 (for extra mkv goodness!)

tenkenX6

• UltraNewbie
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:30 AM »
OK, I figured as much, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the input.

Anyway, finding a good and reliable translator(s) is the toughest challenge in the fansubbing world. It's the unwritten rule in the subbing scene both back in the pre-legal streaming days and now. I would like to say I could help you guys out with translating, but sadly, I'm too busy with other subbing obligations and real life to do so. BTW, I'm a member of the subbing group, Live-eviL, if any of you are curious.

Well, I wish you all the best of luck in whatever paths you choose to follow in the future, whether it be reviving the group and subbing again or non-subbing (real life/offline) stuff.  :]

J

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »
Good to hear from you.

I didn't think you guys would ever come out of "hiatus". I just visit here every now and again for the nostalgia and in the vain hope of hearing something about Kunio-Kun.

Take care,

J.

H

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2015, 08:36:29 AM »
Can I use your motto for myself?
If so, is there any requirements?

J

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »
Haven't been back for months... And a new comment on the same day!

What motto?

H

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »
The site's/fansub's motto.

H

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 05:02:10 AM »
The site's/fansub's motto.
Ah, never mind, I made my own. Nonetheless, this fansub's gave me inspirations. Thanks!

J

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »
Happy Belated Anniversary.

Good wishes to everyone.

J

anything