Author Topic: Group on Hiatus  (Read 21623 times)

AoyamaMotoko

• Static-Subs Webmaster
  • Static-Subs Staff
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 19.0 Firefox 19.0
    • Animeneko Network
Group on Hiatus
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
In case the inactivity hasn't been enough of a hint, Static-Subs has been on Hiatus for some time.

A few months ago, our core translator, Kunio-kun disappeared. We had heard from him about some personal issues and that he expected to be back soon. Unfortunately, he since disappeared and nobody has been able to contact him (I don't think anyone had a non-Internet way to contact him).

As such, the group hasn't had a translator and we can't proceed with any projects. If you want to follow us to see if we start back up again, try following our RSS feed (it's listed on our home page). We'll post announcements for any news, and the feed will distribute that out.

Also, the forums are temporarily closed while I deal with the spam issue. That means comments on this post will be impossible until I can unlock the forums. I'm not sure how all the current spammers are bypassing our defenses, but I'll put something up to help stop things.

Edit: Hopefully the changes made will stop or slow the spam flood. Comments are now open.

- Motoko
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:35:26 AM by AoyamaMotoko »
Happy Linux User
Player of choice: SMplayer and Mplayer2 (for extra mkv goodness!)

alvinkhorfire

• Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
Re: Group on Hiatus
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »
@AoyamaMotoko
Thanks for posting the update, which is definitely a relief for all Static-Subs fans. The period of inactivity, as well as the forum being filled with spam, has definitely given me quite a bit of scare.

Hopefully, Kunio-kun will be back soon to rejoin your guys in Static-Subs, so that we fans can look forward to more anime subbed by Static-Subs in the future.

Anyway, it is great to hear from you again, AoyamaMotoko.

Edit: Removed the strange bolding. - AM
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:35:49 AM by AoyamaMotoko »

AoyamaMotoko

• Static-Subs Webmaster
  • Static-Subs Staff
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 26.0.1410.57 Chrome 26.0.1410.57
    • Animeneko Network
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
alvinkhorfire, it's been long enough that the chances of hearing from Kunio are slim. I understand someone actually did have a phone number for him, but it wasn't working either.

Also, please note that at-references don't work at all in the forum. While anyone is welcome to use the style, it's not some magic linker or notifier like on other social platforms.
Happy Linux User

Nagi

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
Thank you very much for the update! I really appreciate it. It was really sad to see that there was no activity at all and the forums got flooded with spam. If it is not too harsh, may I ask what kept you from informing the fans a bit sooner? That's no offense, I'm just curious and I'm sure you had your reasons :)

SupraGuy

• Forum Elder
  • Resident Car Nut
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 26.0.1410.43 Chrome 26.0.1410.43
    • SupraGuy's Parking Space
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »
Thanks for the update. The spambots were getting rather bad, hopefully that issue is fixed.

Hope things are going well for everyone, and that Kunio-kun is okay.
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

SupraGuy's Anime List

AoyamaMotoko

• Static-Subs Webmaster
  • Static-Subs Staff
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 19.0 Firefox 19.0
    • Animeneko Network
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the update. The spambots were getting rather bad, hopefully that issue is fixed.

I cleaned up the spam accounts, removed the insane amount of posts, then changed the registration questions and updated the other countermeasures in place.

Hope things are going well for everyone, and that Kunio-kun is okay.

I think most of the staff is doing okay. I hope Kunio is okay and just avoiding the group for some reason.
Happy Linux User

_Maki

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:54:43 AM »
Damn, and here I am waiting for the two remaining Shana specials... Guys! ;_;

alvinkhorfire

• Browser:
  • MS Internet Explorer 10.0 MS Internet Explorer 10.0
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 09:14:53 AM »
AoyamaMotoko, I understand. I will not be using that style of writing again in this forum.  :tongue:

Damn, and here I am waiting for the two remaining Shana specials... Guys! ;_;
Yes, I agree with you. I am really hoping that SS-Eclipse can sub both episodes of Shakugan no Shanatan: Final Destruction (contained in Shakugan no Shana III - Vol .02 and Vol .06 Blu-ray Discs.) As far I know, there is not any English-subbed Shanatans: Final Destruction, released by other subbing groups.  It would be great honour, if you guys can do it. I know that the chances are slim, but I am still hopeful.  :))

cyruz

• Forum Elder
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 21.0 Firefox 21.0
    • MyAnimeList.net
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »
I kept my eyes on the forum rss feed despite the spam, thanks for cleaning that up.

The projects really aren't that important. While I miss your subs, too, I just hope Kunio-kun is doing alright. Many years ago I think I received an e-mail from him regarding some translation questions I had if I recall correctly, but that's one way of contacting him you have most definitely tried as well. I hope there will be a sign of life at some point.

Thanks for keeping the website running. I hope the rest of the team is doing okay :).

AoyamaMotoko

• Static-Subs Webmaster
  • Static-Subs Staff
  • Unknown Unknown
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 27.0.1453.56 Chrome 27.0.1453.56
    • Animeneko Network
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
Yes, I agree with you. I am really hoping that SS-Eclipse can sub both episodes of Shakugan no Shanatan: Final Destruction (contained in Shakugan no Shana III - Vol .02 and Vol .06 Blu-ray Discs.) As far I know, there is not any English-subbed Shanatans: Final Destruction, released by other subbing groups.  It would be great honour, if you guys can do it. I know that the chances are slim, but I am still hopeful.  :))

For any chance of that happening, find the group a translator at the very least.
Happy Linux User

Gordon Shumway

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 08:30:02 PM »
I am also desperately hoping to see an SS-Eclipse reunion to do Hayate: Can't Take My Eyes Off You dvds/bds at some point in the future, but even more so I'd wish for Hayate: Cuties now.  (I've only been able to find one group doing it, and they don't translate the OP/EDs.  Cuties has a different character singing the ED for each episode, and not getting it translated at all is quite frustrating.

From my perspective, any anime with a Rie Kugimiya tsundere as the main heroine that isn't subbed by SS (and especially SS-Eclipse) hasn't really been subbed at all.  (And now that I've learned from other posts here that there are two more Shana episodes and Shanatans out there I haven't seen, I'm even more eager for an SS-Eclipse reunion!   8o)  I've been downloading fansubs since about the time the first Hayate series aired, and I've seen a lot of different fansub groups come and go during that time.  There are a few very good ones still active, but the SS-Eclipse collaboration was, in my opinion, the best fansub team EVER.  Nobody could match your speed AND high quality.  Thank you for many years of wonderful tsunderes fansubs, and I hope that one day very soon I'll be again downloading files whose names begin with "[SS-]".

cyruz

• Forum Elder
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 21.0 Firefox 21.0
    • MyAnimeList.net
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:39:12 AM »
<snip>
If the Hayate anime are your biggest concern, then you should be fine.

Everything that came after the first two seasons, especially CTMEOY and Cuties, is utterly, utterly horrible and so massively disappointing that I am still amazed that I finished CTMEOY. Absolutely nothing of the first seasons' soul remains. There are no jokes anymore, no proper parodies at all, there's no KOTOKO (GOD WHY?!), and the art style - even though I was willing to put up with the change in animation at first - is now nothing but annoying. From one of the funniest anime in history imho (Season 2), the Hayate series has fallen down into a stinking pit of generic worthlessness. It's so sad.

Rant over, sorry.

Shandris

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 08:01:53 AM »
I am also desperately hoping to see an SS-Eclipse reunion to do Hayate: Can't Take My Eyes Off You dvds/bds at some point in the future, but even more so I'd wish for Hayate: Cuties now.  (I've only been able to find one group doing it, and they don't translate the OP/EDs.  Cuties has a different character singing the ED for each episode, and not getting it translated at all is quite frustrating.

From my perspective, any anime with a Rie Kugimiya tsundere as the main heroine that isn't subbed by SS (and especially SS-Eclipse) hasn't really been subbed at all.  (And now that I've learned from other posts here that there are two more Shana episodes and Shanatans out there I haven't seen, I'm even more eager for an SS-Eclipse reunion!   8o)  I've been downloading fansubs since about the time the first Hayate series aired, and I've seen a lot of different fansub groups come and go during that time.  There are a few very good ones still active, but the SS-Eclipse collaboration was, in my opinion, the best fansub team EVER.  Nobody could match your speed AND high quality.  Thank you for many years of wonderful tsunderes fansubs, and I hope that one day very soon I'll be again downloading files whose names begin with "[SS-]".

Hidan no Aria was actually subbed by UTW which is a proper group :D

Ichigeki

• Browser:
  • Chrome 26.0.1410.64 Chrome 26.0.1410.64
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
It's been a while since I've been here and suddenly a news update showed up.
I hope you can find a way to contact Kunio-kun. I'll keep checking for news.
Good luck.

Gordon Shumway

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
@Shandris - you are correct.  (And I downloaded UTW's version myself.  They're one of the "few very good ones still active" I was referring to.)  But HnA wasn't nearly as good as the first two Hayate series (as Cyruz so eloquently stated) or the other Rie tsundere series.  It was OKAY, in my opinion.  But I have so many SS-subbed files featuring Rie tsunderes, they're who I think of first and foremost.  Nobody else's feels right to me.  (I meant it as a sincere compliment, but maybe I could have worded it better.)

@Cyruz - From my perspective, poor-to-fair new Hayate episodes are still better than NO new episodes.  Your mileage may vary.  (And given your rant, I suspect that you'd disagree with me.   :)))  OF COURSE I wish that better Hayate was available, but sadly it's not.  I didn't find CTMEOY to be quite as awful as you did - it had a few moments that shined (Hayate and Hina's date, for example) - but I agree with you that the franchise peaked in the first two series.  But back to my point - even if I feel that bad Hayate is better than nothing, I still want it subbed properly.  I don't expect fancy karaoke effects (although sometimes if done really well I'll enjoy them), but I want the songs at least translated, because it would be nice to know what the heck they're singing.

At the risk of another rant  :O, what did you think of the movie?  It didn't have the jokes or the soul of the first series either, but I really enjoyed it anyway.  Hina had a Crowning Moment of Awesome with her daring rescue; as a huge Hina fan I had to love that.  (Isumi was awesome there too, but then she always is.)